Partridge Paging Machine
Dorman Grinding Machine
and sales of petrol and paraffin fuelled car engines.
From that moment internal combustion engine manufacture was to increase steadily to dominate the company's activities. To imagine that all other Dorman activities became defunct overnight would be very reverse of the case, as remains to be seen.
While petrol and paraffin engine production, for many types of automotive power, increased steadily up to the outbreak of war, two further events took place, of which both are historically noteworthy, these were the appointment in 1911 to the post of Chairman and Managing Director of Mr. Walter Haddon, a well known City figure of the time with a wide array of financial and business connections, this being followed in the following year by Dorman becoming a public company. In the same year, of 1912, purchase took place of the business of Mr. W. L. Adams from the Redbridge Motor Works, Southampton, together with his entire stock of finished engines, spare parts, drawings, mouldings patterns, tools and jigs, for what was then known as the Adams aeroplane engine, and was to become known, following Mr. Adams'
appointment as "Engineer and Sales Expert" to the Areo-
This was a 60—80 b.h.p. vee-
1912 Aero Engine
An early Partridge Paging Machine.
Booklet home page Page index Pages 2 & 3 Pages 6 & 7
Dorman Internal Grinding Machine.
on these features are still being expertly combined in the most modern Dorman engines
It was during these years that machines produced by Dorman, to customers' design, were to win awards of merit in the United States and on the Continent.
Meanwhile with their eye ever on the requirements of local industry, Dorman included
amongst these machines, locomotive link and bush grinders of which at least two were
supplied to the factory beside the old L.&N.W.R. main line from Euston to Crewe where
another Stafford firm, that of W. G. Bagnall Limited had been producing locomotives
since 1875. When in 1959 Bagnalls in fact were to be absorbed by Dorman two of these
machines were still to be found on the inventory of their machinery.
It was almost, perhaps, inevitably following upon the development of these sophisticated internal grinding machines that the company should begin to manufacture and market tools to be used in the grinding of cylinders for the new internal combustion engine — so it was, that, beginning in 1903, the company should commence the design, production
With the opening of the new century an important development came to take place:
the concentration of the firm's activities into two principal fields, the production
of printing and grinding machines, although the production of both general and specialised
machine tools continued unabated. In the former category contemporary catalogues
including rotary perforating and page numbering equipment and stitching machinery
as used "in binderies throughout the civilised world". These were made for such names
as "Elliott", "Partridge" and "Caxton" as by now the company had secured the manufacturing
rights of their equipment from these original companies; but the grinding machines
were produced in Dorman's own name and included equipments to perform a wide variety
of applications ranging from compact and inexpensive grinders of simple design to