Flame Thrower

   These are some of the main items supplied by Dorman in the country's hour of need, other items of lesser size, although important, in their own right, have not been mentioned; thus ends Dorman contribution during the war years.
   With the cessation of hostilities, conditions throughout the country gradually began to return to normal — in a sense it could be said that conditions had not been normal for many years, because of the extent of the pre-war depression. From this time onwards Dorman was to continue in a pattern of production which remains established to the present day with overall concentration on diesel engines for industrial and marine applications, with Flexstel production as an important sideline and is still so to this present day and age. The two exceptions to this rule were the collaboration with Alfred Herbert Limited,

which continued until 1948, while the company re-established itself on a peacetime basis, and the production of die-casting machines. Apart from Flexstel these were the sole survivors of all Dorman multitudinous pre-war sidelines and were not to be finally phased out of existence until the end of the "fifties". Consequently subject to modern technical improvements, Dorman die-casting machinery had its hey day in the nineteen thirties and the war years producing literally millions of parts for the expanding aircraft industry, as production of die-casting machinery was to become less economical and more time had to be devoted to the research, development and production of diesel engines the production of die-casting machinery faced a period of gradual abandonment but a high quality product was maintained until production finally ceased.


Dorman Engined Vessels


Flame-thrower with Flextel joints.

40

41

Booklet home page                    Page index                    Pages 38 & 39                    Pages 42 & 43

Dorman Centenary CB 38-39 CB 42-43

Rotary Club of which Mr. Wilford was President. The fairs raised £2,000 and the premises thus purchased became the Stafford Eventide Homes situated on Rowley Bank.
    Prior to this, however, Mr. Wilford, who had been with Dorman since 1914 and a director since 1920 died on December 8th 1946; his generosity and honesty were widely attested and his death sincerely lamented. Employees were awarded two hours paid absence from work should they wish to attend the funeral. The pall bearers included two foremen, a caretaker, a member of the office staff, two shop stewards from the A.E.U. and two from the M. &- G.T.W.U. With the death of Mr. Wilford he was succeeded, as Chairman and Managing Director, by Mr. F. Smallwood.

    Dorman marine sales for the post war era got off to a good start in the first years of peace and we are able to illustrate four of the many different types of vessels where Dorman marine engines were to be found immediately after 1945. In addition the pre-war pattern of sales emerged and Dorman was called upon to supply engines for pumping sets and air compressor sets for such customers as Broome-Wade, Blaw- Knox, Armstrong Whitworth, Air Pumps Ltd., Consolidated Pneumatic, and so on.
    1946 saw a number of events; in that year the Company Chairman, Mr. Wilford initiated a fund for the foundation of an old people's home. In 1946 and 1947 the Company's Sports and Welfare Association allowed use to be made of their sports ground at Tixall Road as a venue for fairs organised by local voluntary bodies including the Stafford Branch of the

Passenger vessel, owned by Salter Bros. Limited, Oxford, on River Thames, and fitted with a Dorman engine.

Ex-Naval cutter “Sultan” with a party of anglers off North Wales. The vessel is fitted with a Dorman engine.

Mail boat on Loch Lomond powered by a Dorman engine.

The ketch “Alpha” under full sail in the Caribbean.  A Dorman diesel is fitted as a main propulsion unit.

CB Index